Standard terms of service and license
Last Updated: January 8, 2021
These Standard Terms of Service and License (the “Standard Terms”) are applicable to any use of the Return to Venice, LLC (“RTV”) products (the “Services”) that are listed in the webform (the “Webform”) pursuant to which the entity listed as “Subscriber” on such Webform (the “Subscriber”) accepted these Standard Terms. The Standard Terms supersede all other prior and contemporaneous agreements, negotiations, communications or understandings, oral or written, with respect to the subject matter hereof. In no event shall the terms and conditions of any other purchase agreement amend or modify the terms and conditions of these Standard Terms.
- RIGHTS OF ACCESS AND USE
- Grant of License. Subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein, RTV grants to Subscriber, and its authorized educators, administrators and students employed by Subscriber or enrolled in Subscriber’s program as listed in the Webform (the “Users”), for the term of the applicable Webform, a limited, non-exclusive, non- sublicensable, non-transferable and revocable license to access the Service(s) and any and all content included therein (the “Content”), and to download, stream, and edit the Content pursuant to the terms and conditions set forth in the Standard Terms. RTV may, in its sole discretion, make changes to the Services and/or the Content. All rights not expressly granted to Subscriber and its Users pursuant to the Standard Terms are reserved to RTV, and all uses of the Content by Subscriber and its Users not expressly permitted herein are prohibited.
- Access. RTV shall provide Subscriber access to the Services by the date identified in the Webform. Access rights granted to Subscriber shall be limited to those access rights necessary to use of the intended functionality of the Services. RTV reserves the right to restrict or prevent access to activities or suspected activities that involve security breaches, hacking, distributed denial of service attacks, or uploading a virus, Trojan horse, time bomb, unauthorized application, or any other harmful form of programming or vandalism.
- Permitted and Prohibited Uses.
- Use for Educational, Non-Commercial Purposes Only. Subscriber and its Users may use the Service(s) and the Content for bona fide educational and research purposes only and may not use them in any commercial or for-profit manner. RTV reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to limit Subscriber’s and/or any Users’ use of the Service(s) in the event that RTV, in its sole and absolute discretion, deems Subscriber’s and/or such Users’ use thereof to be inconsistent with educational and research purposes, and/or inconsistent with these Standard Terms.
- Downloading of Content. Users may download, for noncommercial instructional use, including for lesson plans, copies of (i) images and (ii) videos and video clips designated on the website as downloadable. Copies must be deleted or erased after use or expiration of the Term, whichever occurs first. Such downloading shall be for individual User convenience only, and Users may not (1) systematically download any of the Content, (2) create distribution “libraries”, or (3) transfer, sell, rent, display, or exhibit any of the Content to any third party other than Users.
- Editing Content. Users may edit videos and video clips designated on the Service(s) as editable, solely in connection with classroom or other school-related projects. Such videos and video clips, as edited by User, as well as any work containing User-edited videos or video clips, may not contain any libelous or unlawful materials or content or any commercial advertising materials, will not infringe upon any party’s proprietary rights, including but not limited to statutory or common-law copyright, trademark and right of privacy, and may not violate any law, regulation or right of any kind whatsoever or give rise to any actionable claim or liability. Under no circumstances may a User convert the Content from digital to analog format, such as by recording a video clip onto a DVD. Violation of this Section 1.3(c) may constitute copyright infringement. User must maintain all copyright, trademark and proprietary notices included with, attached to or embedded all editable videos and video clips without modification, obstruction or deletion. The Content may include certain ancillary educational materials, such as student activity sheets, blackline masters and teacher’s guides (“Ancillary Materials”). User may modify, alter and revise the Ancillary Materials to meet specific instructional needs, provided that the following statement is prominently displayed on all such revised Ancillary Materials, in addition to any other proprietary notices, and with the understanding that RTV or its content provider shall continue to own the Ancillary Materials: “Revised with the permission of RTV. RTV and its content providers are not responsible for the content or accuracy of the revision”.
- Dissemination of Content. In the course of using any Content as permitted hereunder, Subscriber and its Users may not make the Content, or any part thereof, available to any party who is not a Subscriber or a User, except as permitted herein. Subscriber and its Users must ensure that the Content is at all times kept on a secure server, viewable only by Subscriber s and/or its Users. If Subscriber wishes to use a third party to host the Content, Subscriber shall notify RTV, and RTV shall have the right to approve the use of such host in advance, in writing, and to approve the terms of agreement between such host and Subscriber. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if Subscriber chooses to use a third party host, RTV disclaims all liability to Subscriber in connection with such third party host, and RTV shall have no responsibility to Subscriber or any User to ensure that such third party host maintains its service. In addition, any Subscriber or User using the Local Host support option must use the Service(s), rather than a local directory, to search for and access the Content.
- Prohibited Uses. Except as expressly set forth herein, neither Subscriber nor the Users may (i) copy, reproduce, alter, modify, transmit, perform, create derivative works of, publish, sub-license, distribute, or circulate the Service(s), the Content, or any portion thereof; (ii) disassemble, decompile, or reverse engineer the Service(s) or any portion thereof, or use a robot, spider, or any similar device to copy or catalog the Content or any portion thereof; (iii) take any actions, whether intentional or unintentional, that may circumvent, disable, damage or impair the Service(s)’s or the Content’s control or security systems, nor allow or assist a third party to do so; or (iv) use the Content in a manner that disparages the Service(s), the Content or RTV or its content providers, or in any manner that RTV may, in its sole discretion, deem inappropriate. Subscriber and the Users acknowledge and agree that the Service(s) and the Content possess a special, unique and extraordinary character that makes difficult the assessment of the monetary damages that would be sustained as a result of unauthorized use, and that unauthorized use may cause immediate and irreparable damage to RTV for which RTV would not have an adequate remedy at law. Therefore, Subscriber agrees that, in the event of such unauthorized use, in addition to such other legal and equitable rights and remedies as may be available to RTV, RTV shall be entitled to seek injunctive and other equitable relief without the necessity of proving damages or furnishing a bond or other security.
- Credentials. Each User shall have a valid username, password, passcode, and in certain circumstances, IP authentication, for the purpose of accessing the Service(s) and the Content (the “Log-In Information”). Subscriber and its Users must keep all Log-In Information strictly confidential, and all Log-In Information may be used only by the assigned User. Subscriber and its Users are responsible for maintaining the security and confidentiality of all Log-In Information, and for preventing access to the Service(s) and/or the Content by unauthorized persons using a User’s Log-In Information. Unauthorized access to or use of the Service(s) and/or the Content by someone using a User’s Log-In information may be attributed to such User. Subscriber acknowledges that RTV may require access to Subscriber’s systems in order to perform single sign-on integration services to facilitate User access to the Service(s) and Content. Subscriber hereby grants to RTV a limited license to access such systems.
- Subscriber Changes to Licensed Schools.
- Licensed School Addition. In the event that Subscriber wishes to add additional school(s) to the list of licensed schools set forth in the Webform (each, a “Licensed School”), Subscriber may submit a written request to email@example.com, setting forth (i) the name and address of the additional school(s), (ii) the grade level of such school(s), (iii) the number of students enrolled in each school, and (iv) the commencement date of the term for such school(s) (each, a “School Addition Request”). No School Addition Request shall become effective until and unless RTV formally approves such request via email or written notification to Subscriber. In the event that such request results in changes to the delivery of the Services or the Fees, RTV shall notify Subscriber in writing or via email. Any fees that result from such request shall be equal to the Fees, as assessed on a pro rata basis.
- Licensed School Substitution. In the event that Subscriber wishes to remove a Licensed School and replace it with another school, such that the total number of Licensed Schools under the respective Webform is not affected, Subscriber may submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org, setting forth (i) the name and address of the applicable school(s), (ii) the grade level of such school(s), (iii) the number of students enrolled in each school, and (iv) the date the Subscriber wishes the substitution to take effect (each, a “School Substitution Request”). No School Substitution Request shall become effective until and unless RTV formally approves such request via email or written notification to Subscriber. In the event that such request results in changes to the delivery of the Services or the Fees, RTV shall notify Subscriber in writing or via email. Any fees that result from such request shall be equal to the Fees, as assessed on a pro rata basis.
- PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
- RTV Property. As between Subscriber, the Users, and RTV, the Service(s) and the Content are the property of RTV and are protected by United States and international copyright and trademark law. By using the Service(s) and the Content, even as permitted hereunder, neither Subscriber nor any of its Users gain any ownership interest in the Service(s) or the Content.
- DMCA Notice and Takedown Policy. It is our policy to respond to alleged infringement notices that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”), or similar regulations. If you believe that your copyrighted work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement and is accessible via the Products and Services, please notify us as set forth in the DMCA, or applicable regulation. For your complaint to be valid under the DMCA, it must contain all the elements provided in 17 USC §512(c)(3) and be submitted to the following:
- DMCA Notice, Legal Department
- Return to Venice, LLC
- Attention: Lisa Taylor
- 28 Shore Road, Douglaston, New York, 11363
- Email: email@example.com
- PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION AND DATA SECURITY.
- Student Data. While Subscriber acknowledges that no student personal information (“Student Data”) is required for the use of any of the basic RTV services, in the event Subscriber or its Users elect to use any of the functionality within the RTV services which provide personalized pages, individual accounts, other user-specific customization, or otherwise submit or upload information (all such data is generally limited to the following: school name, first name, last name, grade level), Subscriber represents and warrants that Subscriber has all necessary authorization to provide to RTV any Student Data it or any User provides through the Services in order to use such functions. Consent may be required for the collection, use and disclosure of Student Data obtained from children through certain online services, and to the extent required, Subscriber consents to RTV’s use of Student Data in the course of providing the Services. The parties agree to uphold their responsibilities under laws governing personal information, including: (i) the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1988 (“COPPA”), the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974 (“FERPA”), Children’s Internet Protection Act (“CIPA”) and any other laws, regulations and statutes, all solely to the extent applicable.
- Data Protection Addendum. RTV agrees to protect Student Data in accordance with the provisions of the RTV Education Student Data Protection Addendum (the “DPA”) located at RTVeducation.com/Data- Protection-Addendum incorporated herein.
- Data Security. RTV shall implement commercially reasonable administrative, physical and technical safeguards designed to secure Personal Information from unauthorized access, disclosure, or use in accordance with RTV’s Security Policy attached as Schedule A to the DPA.
- FEES AND TAXES
- Fees. Subscriber shall pay RTV the fees in the amounts specified in the Webform (the “Fees”). Subscriber shall submit to RTV the executed Webform and RTV shall issue Subscriber an invoice for the applicable Fees. In the event that Subscriber elects to pay such Fees with a credit card, RTV shall have the right to charge Subscriber a convenience fee. Subscriber shall pay the Fees within 30 days of RTV’s invoice. Failure to pay the Fees in accordance with the Standard Terms shall constitute a material breach by Subscriber. The fees for any Renewal Term shall be at RTV’s then current, applicable rates, as provided by RTV and in accordance with applicable law. The fees for any Extension Term (as defined below) shall be equal to the Fees, as assessed on a pro rata basis and provided by RTV.
- Taxes. Subscriber certifies that Subscriber is exempt from all federal, state, and local taxes and will furnish RTV with copies of all relevant certificates demonstrating such tax-exempt status upon request. In the event Subscriber is not exempt from certain of such taxes, Subscriber agrees to remit payment for such taxes to RTV.
- TERM AND TERMINATION
- Term. The term (“Initial Term”) is defined in the applicable Webform referencing the Standard Terms. Thereafter and in accordance with applicable law, the Term shall automatically renew for additional periods in increments of the Initial Term (“Renewal Term(s)”, collectively with the Initial Term, the “Term”) until terminated by either party by giving written notice ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of any Renewal Term. The Fees for the Renewal Term shall be as set forth in Section 4.1 herein.
- Term Extensions. In the event that Subscriber wishes to extend the Initial Term (a “Term Extension Request”), it may request an extension of up to three (3) months by submitting a request to firstname.lastname@example.org (“Extension Term”). The fees for any Extension Term shall be as set forth in Section 4.1 herein. No Term Extension Request shall become effective until and unless RTV formally approves such request via email or written notification to Subscriber.
- Termination for Breach. In the event that Subscriber or its Users breach any term of the Standard Terms, and such breach is not cured within 10 days after receipt of notice thereof from RTV, RTV may terminate the Standard Terms in whole or in part immediately upon written notice to Subscriber.
- Termination for Bankruptcy. Either party may terminate the Standard Terms immediately if any of the following events occur affecting the other party: (a) voluntary bankruptcy or application for bankruptcy; (b) involuntary bankruptcy or application for bankruptcy not discharged within 60 days; (c) appointment of receiver or trustee in bankruptcy for all or a portion of the other party’s assets; or (d) an assignment for the benefit of creditors.
- Effect of Termination. Upon expiration or termination of the Standard Terms, all rights granted herein shall revert to RTV; all access to and use of the Service(s) and the Content by Subscriber and its Users must cease; and all materials downloaded from the Service(s) by Subscriber or any Users must be erased, deleted, or destroyed.
- GENERAL WARRANTIES
- RTV Warranties. RTV represents and warrants that it has full power and authority to enter into the Standard Terms.
- Subscriber Warranties. Subscriber represents and warrants that (i) it has full power and authority to enter into the Standard Terms and has received all parental and other permissions required to permit RTV to obtain and retain information (including personal information) from Users; (ii) only Subscriber or its Users shall access the Service(s) and the Content; (iii) Subscriber and its Users will at all times use the Service(s) and the Content only as expressly permitted by the Standard Terms; (iv) in the event that Subscriber requests that RTV customize the Service(s) interface with Subscriber’s trade name, trademarks or logos, and/or digitize and/or encode and/or host any of Subscriber’s content on the Content and/or the Service(s), RTV has the right to so use and exploit any and all such trade names, trademarks, logos and content, including without limitation any and all underlying elements (the “Subscriber IP”), and (v) the Subscriber IP, any content, materials, and/or information contributed by Users, and any revisions to the Content by Users does not and will not contain any libelous, unlawful or infringing materials or content, will not infringe upon any party’s proprietary rights, including without limitation statutory or common-law copyright, trademark and right of privacy, and will not violate any law, regulation or right of any kind whatsoever or give rise to any actionable claim or liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranty. THE SERVICES AND CONTENT ARE PROVIDED AS IS, AND ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, PAST OR PRESENT, WHETHER STATUTORY, COMMON-LAW OR FROM A COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SECURITY AND, EXCEPT AS MAY BE OTHERWISE STATED IN THESE STANDARD TERMS, NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. RTV DOES NOT GUARANTEE OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OR ACCURACY OF THE WEBSITE OR THE CONTENT. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY RTV EDUCATION OR ITS EMPLOYEES SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE OF RTV’S OBLIGATIONS HEREUNDER, AND SUBSCRIBER MAY NOT RELY ON ANY SUCH INFORMATION OR ADVICE.
- Release. To the extent permitted by law, Subscriber and its Users release and waive all claims (whether known or unknown) against RTV, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, agents or content providers, and the directors, trustees, officers, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives of each of the foregoing, from any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses arising out of User’s use of the Service(s) and the Content.
- Indemnity. To the extent permitted by law, Subscriber and its Users shall defend, indemnify and hold RTV, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, agents or content providers, and the directors, officers, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives of each of the foregoing, harmless against and from any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses arising out of any violation by Subscriber and/or its Users of these Standard Terms, any downloading of the Content, any modification or edit made to any portion of the Content, and the use of any portion of the Content with products or services not supplied by RTV.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
- Consequential damages exclusion. IN NO EVENT SHALL RTV BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST DATA, LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, REPLACEMENT SERVICE OR OTHER SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR INDIRECT DAMAGES, HOWEVER CAUSED AND REGARDLESS OF THEORY OF LIABILITY.
- Aggregate Liability. To the maximum extent permitted by law, in no event shall RTV’s aggregate liability with respect to any matters whatsoever arising under or in connection with the Standard Terms exceed the lesser of (i) total fees paid by Subscriber to RTV under the Standard Terms within the twelve-month period prior to the date the cause of action giving rise to liability arose or (ii) $100,000. The foregoing liability is cumulative with all payments for claims or damages in connection with the Standard Terms being aggregated to determine satisfaction of the limit.
- RTV understands that government entities, such as Subscriber, may be required to disclose information pursuant to applicable open records acts. Prior to any such disclosure, Subscriber shall make any claim of privilege that may be applicable to prevent such disclosure and will make reasonable efforts to give RTV reasonable prior notice and a reasonable opportunity to resist such disclosure. In all other respects, all provisions of these Standard Terms and materials provided by RTV which are designated as confidential or should reasonably be presumed to be treated as confidential (“Confidential Information”) shall be kept strictly confidential by Subscriber and may not be disclosed without prior written consent, except for any disclosure required by any order of a court or governmental authority with jurisdiction over Subscriber.
- Communications from RTV. RTV may periodically contact Users for customer service purposes. By accessing the Service(s) and the Content, Users consent to receive such communications. Subscriber shall promptly provide RTV with any and all information regarding its Users and/or use of the Service(s) and the Content by its Users that RTV reasonably requests. Subscriber agrees that RTV may reference its business relationship with Subscriber in its marketing, press releases or sales materials.
- Changes. RTV reserves the right to change these Standard Terms from time to time. Such changes will become effective when RTV posts the revised Standard Terms. Subscriber and Users should check the Standard Terms from time to time, as they are bound by the Standard posted on RTV’s website at the time of access. Any revised Standard Terms shall supersede all previous versions.
- Force Majeure. Failure to perform by reason of any law, natural disaster, labor controversy, encumbered intellectual property right, war or any similar event beyond a party’s reasonable control shall not be a breach hereof.
- Governing Law. The Standard Terms shall be construed and enforced under the laws of the state of New York, USA without reference to the choice of law principles thereof. User hereby consents to and submits to the jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in the State of New York. User waives any defenses based upon lack of personal jurisdiction or venue, or inconvenient forum. If any provision herein is unenforceable, then such provision shall be of no effect on any other provision hereof.
- No waiver. No waiver of any breach hereof shall be deemed a waiver of any other breach hereof.
- Survival. All representations, warranties, and indemnities shall survive the expiration or prior termination of the Standard Terms.
- Section headings are provided for convenience only and shall not be used to construe the meaning of any section hereof.
- Entire Agreement. The Standard Terms contain the entire understanding and supersedes all prior understandings between the parties relating to the subject matter herein. The terms and conditions set forth herein shall not be binding on RTV, or any of its affiliates, until these Standard Terms have been electronically accepted by an authorized signatory for Subscriber and Subscriber has been authorized by RTV to have access to the Services as provided herein.
- Assignment. The rights and obligations of either party under the Standard Terms may not be transferred or assigned directly or indirectly without the prior written consent of the other party, except that RTV may assign the Standard Terms without restriction to an entity that acquires substantially all of its stock, assets, or business. Except as otherwise expressly provided herein, the provisions hereof will inure to the benefit of, and be binding upon, the successors, assigns, heirs, executors and administrators of the parties.
- Relationship of the Parties. The parties are independent contractors and not joint venture partners or otherwise affiliated. Neither party has any right or authority to assume or create any obligations of any kind or to make any representation or warranty on behalf of the other party, whether express or implied, or to bind the other party in any respect whatsoever. There are no third-party beneficiaries to the Agreement.
- Professional Development Services. Any content provided by RTV during any Professional Development, in any format (the “PD Content”) is the property of RTV. Subscriber acknowledges that it does not gain any ownership interest in the PD Content by using the PD Content.
- Notices. All notices and statements shall be in writing and sent by a reputable overnight service such as Federal Express to the address set forth below; provided that, notices that relate to Renewal Terms may be sent via email to the email address below:
Return to Venice, LLC Attention: Lisa Taylor 28 Shore Road